Sunday, November 24, 2013

Brown-headed parrot: Yoga for an inner ear condition?, Western Medicine and Insurance, What's the solution?, Databases in wiki World University and School for yoga poses and bagpipe tunes, for example


Yoga asana (poses) for an inner ear condition? Make the bodymind all-around healthier via asana (via practicing poses, as movement and exercises, with their far-reaching effects on what I call the 'ecology/biology' of the bodymind), which might then effect, and improve, a biological condition in my inner, right ear? How best to think about this rationally, vis-a-vis western medicine, but without access to a medical doctor's diagnosis or western medicine's current interventions presently, - and vis-a-vis yoga? Which yoga poses to do, in particular, if any, and why? What's actually going on inside my ear biologically, that I could assess, and then show, with clinical trials even, that yoga poses would benefit? How to complement yoga and western allopathic medicine?
(Yoga - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Yoga and
Medicine - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Medicine). I'm glad this ear condition is inviting me to extend my already daily yoga practice with more yoga, - particularly inverted poses, rotated karnapidasana - from plow pose, bringing knees to either side of my head on the floor, which affects the whole biology of the head, neck and upper chest, - as well as breathing practices. (See ear related poses on the WUaS Yoga, wiki page below).


*

Dear Cyd MD and Byr MD,

Thanks so much for looking at my ear some months ago, Cyd.

What I'm (possibly) calling my Otitis externa or Otitis media or Eustachian tube dysfunction or 'Middle Ear Effusion (OME) with Bubbling Air' or swimmer's ear issue - which is it, I wonder - comes and goes. Now it's active again. Is there a little bubble in there, I wonder, like that photo I showed you in Youtube here -
'Middle Ear Effusion (OME) with Bubbling Air'

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmAj0YFYCvw (this video is accessible here - at WUaS's beginning, online Medical School - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/World_University_Medical_School)?


*


Clogged Ears & What Happens When They Do or Don't Pop Open (Eustachian Tube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwoU7nEqQyc
http://www.fauquierent.net/etd.htm

As I wrote to a MD friend, who sent me the above video and web site:

"I would hazard per the 2:40 minute mark in Dr. Chang's video, that my right Eustachian tube is swollen shut, which is why I can't pop open my right ear, holding my nose, but it feels like I can't pop open my left ear either, which feels relatively normal. I suspect I need to work with the therapies suggested between 2:40 and 3 minutes, and preferably under the guidance of a physician, and potentially also to avoid surgery hinted at in the video. I wonder too whether popping the ear drums is something everyone can do, and is defining, as his video suggests of a normal ear's Eustachian tube. I've never consciously been able to pop my ear drums in 5 decades." (I'm actually a little skeptical of ear drum popping as a diagnostic approach, having recently seen an allopathic MD who didn't suggest this).


*

I'm curious about what you think about trying ear drops with alcohol to dry them, or with an antibiotic in them, to eliminate the possibility of a bacterial infection which some web sites suggest to be a possibility. (Remember, I've had an off-again on-again 'swimmer's ear' even since the late 1960s in the Yale swimming program, with many years of 'off'). I don't see my anthropological field site of the Harbin Hot Springs' warm pool going away, so I just would like both to solve the issue, and with ongoing exposure to water, if possible. If the issue isn't partly bacterial (or fungal), would you eventually think that a primary care physician would suggest seeing an ENT (with Covered California / Affordable Care / Obamacare - which begins January 1, 2014; I'm also thinking through how to find the best primary care physician, possibly in the teaching hospital of Stanford Medical School, or in the best close hospital ... Stanford, HYP, Ivy League, MIT as undergraduate?) or similar?

Besides ear plugs (for water which I don't wear, and for bagpiping, which I do wear, but which 'messes' with the 'ecology' or 'breathabilitiy' of my right ear, as I subjectively see it), both of which don't suit me, do you think there's a solution for what ever is going on in there, physically / physiologically (which is my hypothesis), which an ENT could help with, or should I just live with the occasional slightly impacted feeling, in which I can create a kind of clicking sound sometimes, inside my right inner ear? (I'd like for there to be a resolution :) . I think this ear condition is a complex case, complicated by bagpiping with foam ear plugs, or now with ETY (with a filter in them) ear plug protection devices, baths and showers, Harbin warm pool field work in water, and a history of an ear condition that goes back decades. ETY ear plugs, which have a filter, and which many musicians use, seem better than foam ones.

Best regards and thank you,
Scott


*

Yoga Closing Postures: Karnapidasana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5AfMhDlAE



Headless Headstand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoXVgBC1fek


*

Yoga at World University and School - 


*

Databases in wiki World University and School for yoga poses and bagpipe tunes, for example -

I'm excited for the time when we will get a database (in wiki WUaS, as one logical web url) with the name of a yoga pose, e.g. Headless Headstand - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoXVgBC1fek - corresponding with 10 Youtube videos, or parts thereof, with great and good versions showing how to do it, and where we can teach to such a pose name, for example.

(Similarly with bagpiping, I'm excited for the time when we will get a database (in wiki WUaS, as one logical web url) with the name of a piping tune, e.g. Scottish Power's playing of the march "Carradale Bay" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbgn4uRVW5Y - corresponding with 125 Youtube videos, or parts thereof, with great and good versions showing how to do it, and where we can teach to such a tune name to our web camera, for example; I've been piping a little with this recording of Scottish Power's playing of "Carradale Bay"- accessible here - http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Highland_Bagpipe. It's actually very helpful, and hope this will occur at WUaS, - in addition to real, real time jamming opportunities :)























...


No comments: