Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Himalayan monal: Sivakami in India, (UC) Santa Cruz inspired poetry from her time studying there decades ago I think, Is this a genre of poetry and especially with a focus on the 1960s and 1970s and California too, and potentially in many many languages?, Sivakami's poetry re Shakespeare, [soulflash] Digest Number 3240‏, Our letters, Sivikami, did you enact MacBeth when you were at UC Santa Cruz in the 1970s? Namaste, Scott

Sivakami in India spent a semester or so at UC Santa Cruz in the 1970s, I think, and continues to write inspired poetry from her time there - decades ago

Re: April 2  Shakespeare And  Me
[soulflash] Digest Number 3240‏ ...

*
Is this a genre of poetry and especially with a focus on the 1960s and 1970s and California too, and potentially in many many languages? 

*
Thank you, Sivakami, for these.
Nice to have met you on Semester at Sea in India around 2004 I think.
I just returned from a conference at UC Santa Cruz recently (to Canyon in the SF Bay Area), and the time you spent there (when -in the 70s?) comes through again and again in your poetry very refreshingly re cultural shifts and vis a vis India and northern California post 1960s. The conference was on "Modelling Culture" digitally and archaeologically (and re an actual virtual anthropological book I'm about to publish -
http://www.scottmacleod.com/ActualVirtualHarbinBook.html - and which has Harbin poetry in it).
Your email here comes through very serendipitously and synchronistically on my mother's birthday as well.
Have you excerpted your poetry specifically concerning your time in Santa Cruz?
Thank you again.
Namaste,
Scott
You'll find some of my poetry in my blog here -
http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/search/label/poetry :)

*

Fri Apr 1, 2016 11:56 am (PDT) . Posted by:

sivakamivelliangiri

Shakespeare And Me


Walk in, be semi-surrounded by juniors team up, talk simultaneously
Will you join our play?
You can be one of the sisters
Hema here our Class rep will be Kate
take the younger one, so I am in
The Taming of the Shrew.

Coming back to my own class
traitor they say so I opt for a Lady Macbeth , hair let loose
holding the candle
walk on stage and realize
I have forgotten the words
So I improvise and
do not remember to bring back the candle.

Hridyayakumari, Shakespeare veteran
her eyes glow as she reads the text. all works for general study six tragedies, six comedies detailed study
and don't forget the sonnets.

I am with my exam papers
so many names, mega mixed up
I snap my fingers, knock my knuckles on my forehead; I feel opaque nobody can untangle the family tree.

Now reading quotable quotes
brings back memories of my dad. 

Fri Apr 1, 2016 11:13 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

sivakamivelliangiri

Kate, Hema Iyer, throws back her head
and talks. Shrewish language , violent gestures
a lady yet to be tamed. Me,
one of the sisters. Don't remember much.
warmth from my juniors draws me to them.
I walk into my own class, a traitor
make amends,enroll for Fancy dress
white satin overflowing on the wooden stage
long dishevelled hair let loose
a candle to wash my hands clean
out great spot, will these hands never be clean?
Wash,wash, I leave the candle behind.
My father's Quotable quotes
Hridyakumari rolling her passionate eyes
her eyes glow with literacy
I dwindle in size.
I am in awe. I manage to wind up.


Sivakami Velliangiri 

Fri Apr 1, 2016 12:07 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

sivakamivelliangiri



April 3
HOME — Sunstruck Magazine invites poems (up to 5) on the theme of “home.”
Guidelines: http://sunstruckmag.com/submissions/ http://sunstruckmag.com/submissions/

Deadline: April 5. 

*
Sivikami, did you enact MacBeth when you were at UC Santa Cruz in the 1970s? Namaste, Scott


*




...


No comments: