Thursday, October 20, 2016

Commelina communis: Massachusetts Institute of Technology "Program in Media Arts and Sciences Faculty Search," I hope my applying to teach at MIT supports my getting World University and School started (where I hope to teach as well) financially, as the "Harvards of the Web" in all 200 countries' main languages for free CC Uni and high school degrees, and as wiki schools in all 7,943 languages



... did not get the tenure track MIT Media Lab junior faculty position ...


Interfolio Logo
Thanks very much for your faculty application for the Program in Media Arts and Sciences at MIT Media Lab. We have reviewed your application and we regret that we are not able to offer you a position. We wish you the best for your future plans. -Program in Media Arts and Sciences
Massachusetts Institute of Technology sent this message in reference to your application for Assistant Professor-Media Arts and Sciences.
*
I'm sorry to write, I just learned, that I did not get the tenure track MIT Media Lab junior faculty position.

Thank you very much for writing a recommendation for me. 

I'm glad to write, however, that World University and School is officially "forking" around these 14 planned revenue streams - http://worlduniversityandschool.blogspot.com/2016/01/14-planned-wuas-revenue-streams.html - in terms of all countries' main languages and in terms of all 7943 languages - and is filing the For-Profit legal papers for this in UC Berkeley Law course this autumn (for the second semester). 

Thank you again for writing the Media Lab recommendation for me. 

Sincerely, Scott

*
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the update - and sorry to hear the news - but you tried and that counts for a lot in my books.

We all need wear multiple hats these days, and creating courses that we teach that students want to learn about is a good think to have in your hip pocket when applying for faculty positions.

-Ji

*
Ji,

Thanks very much for your email. I hope my applying to teach at MIT supports my getting World University and School started (where I hope to teach as well) financially, as the "Harvards of the Web" in all 200 countries' main languages for free CC Uni and high school degrees, and as wiki schools in all 7,943 languages. 

I received the email from MIT right after attending another Stanford Law Silicon Valley Directors' Exchange meeting this morning where impressive Stanford Law Professor Joe Grundfest (MSc Program-London School of Economics 1972, BA Yale University 1973, JD Stanford Law School 1978, Doctoral studies (economics) Stanford University 1975-78) - who seems to see law as a thinking endeavor - was the moderator. He was around Yale and Stanford it seems from 1969-1978, interesting times at both places, alternative-culturally. I.T.-culturally, too, I wonder about the timing of such email processes and re CC WUaS's CC MIT OCW-centricity in 7 languages and CC Yale OYC-centricity envisioning and planning. 
Have you seen MIT's Ed Boyden's ~ minute-long seeming reference to what WUaS is doing at 15:50 here - http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2016/09/orchid-bee-euglossini-wuas-alluded-to.html - at the top? Check out the slide in this video at the 15:55 minute mark -https://youtu.be/18jZDVuiAOM?t=15m55s - bringing together a) universities (some 800 years old) which don't scale very well (per Ed) WITH b) for-profit tax forms (e.g. per Ed, such corporations can scale huge very well, but are may be less open than academic settings) WITH c) non-profit organizations which can scale better than universities, per Ed, and maybe have different time horizons than for-profits - all in one slide. WUaS hopes to do this, and in collaboration with CC MIT, CC Yale and other greatest universities.   

My major disappointment, however, with not getting the MIT position is my ongoing serious p... , since it's not obvious at all when WUaS will become financially operational. (I enjoy teaching the "Network Society and Information Technology, and the Global University" a lot, and have taught this course for many years. I'm also looking forward to teaching a course re actual-virtual Harbin, ethno-wiki-virtual-world-graphy and building a realistic virtual earth for STEM research and as a field site).

As WUaS files the WUaS For-Profit papers in the UC Berkeley Law course, WUaS has been developing the Business Model Canvas, one of which main fields invites WUaS to "paint" in our partners. So far, I've added Wikidata (in 358 languages), Google (in 100 languages), the University of California (for its linguistic diversity, as well as its high achieving student bodies) and Berkeley Law. Would it be alright with you if I add ISSIP please, as well as mention ISSIP's IBM, Cisco and HP support? 

Thank you, again, for writing the recommendation for me.

Thank you, Scott

*
Hi Scott,

You are a member of ISSIP - so you can surely add ISSIP to your network reference that you leverage.

-Ji


*
Thanks, Ji!



*









...


No comments: