Saturday, January 28, 2017

Brya ebenus (Jamaican Rain Tree): Making headway with my next book - of poetry, Scott MacLeod's "Haiku ish and Other Loving Hippie Harbin Poetry," Another of my Harbin ethnographic books sold recently - http://bit.ly/HarbinBook and https://twitter.com/HarbinBook - My Harbin ethnographic book "Naked Harbin Ethnography" has a few of my poems in it - as ethnography, Here's a poem I shared today with the SoulFlash email list, which will likely be in my next book: "Monsieur Nikhil Bannerjee, master raga player, moved me along the way"


Making headway with my next book - of poetry - which should be fun. I think I'll aim for about 100 pages in a not large volume (6 x 9), with possibly 10 to 15 poems in it, and priced for a poetry market in India, as well as differently in the U.S. I'm enjoying the SoulFlash email list, of which Sivikami Velliangiri may be a founder. She was an interport lecturer on Semester at Sea, and attended UC Santa Cruz in the 1970s. I met Sivakami in Chennai, India, on the east coast, in around 2005 on the Semester at Sea ship.

I'll draw on poems here -
http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/search/label/poetry.




Hi M,

I may include 25-50 poems in my upcoming poetry book (I have a few more than 100 poems in my blog, and while many are Harbin focused, some are not) ... and aim for a 100 page book ... costing perhaps $26 in the US ... not sure how much in India.

Some more of my Harbin ethnographic books sold recently - http://bit.ly/HarbinBook and https://twitter.com/HarbinBook - and I made about $13 on these. Nelson said at TSWG recently that he had ordered one for the UC Berkeley Anthropology Library, a separate
Anthropology library at Berkeley which is unusual these days across the country at Unis and across the world at Unis too - so this may explain the .35 I made on one January sale. Nelson "needs it for his class" - helpful
language for the future. (I'll also get $13 via Amazon soon from a book that sold in December). I guess my book will now become available in inter-library loan with Unis. (I had given Nelson a proof hard copy of my book last September). Maybe I'll be able to give a book talk at Stanford too in the Continuing Ed and Anthropology departments, with their awesome Stanford bookstore selling my "Naked Harbin Ethnography" at each event.

My Harbin ethnographic books has a few of my poems in it - as ethnography.

I'm waiting to hear about the Wikipedia in Residence Libraries' position I applied for, and should hear something soon now at the end of January.

Will share another poem today with the SoulFlash poetry email group (and Sivakami Velliangiri), with many of these SoulFlash participants & readers and poets based in India.

Heading to a whale fest in Monterey today -
https://events.stanford.edu/events/657/65793/ - and maybe to one of two musical events at Stanford tonight on the way back, before choir also in Palo Alto tomorrow, and then a choir potluck in the evening in P.A. :)

L,
Scott


*

Here's a poem I shared today with the SoulFlash email list, which will likely be in my next book:


Monsieur Nikhil Bannerjee, master raga player, moved me along the way


Monsieur Nikhil Bannerjee,
master
raga player,
moved me along the way,
on the road to Harbin,
sur la voie de Harbin.

Live in Amsterdam,'
became evening
soaking in the warm pool, -
space-making through
geothermal journeying,
with music,
avec de la musique.

Cloud-rainbow-beacon ~
light formation ~
in northern sky,
in kaleidoscopic, glorious,
afternoon Napa,
beamed steadily on
as I drove toward
the valley of Harbin,
dans la vallée de Harbin.

Bliss alive,
kiss of music-light-travel,
in natural world,
to beehive of healing …
at Harbin,
dear Harbin,
cher Harbin.

Can we do this online,
virtually, without mobility, -
or moving
in bodymind -
in our bathtubs, with
laptops, or
digital glasses, or
head bands, or
brainwave headsets, that
allow us to weave
narratives or music or visions,
together, in virtual worlds, or
via holography?
There are
generative possibilities
of creativity
ahead, via
interactive, movie realism …
and the relaxation response -
meditation in warm water,
méditation dans l'eau chaude …

as I,
poor wanderer,
move on,
from writing
by the side of the road,
toward Harbin,
riding sound waves
of musical light,
de la lumière musicale.





...






*







...

No comments: